View Single Post
Old 18-01-18, 20:22
(Michel Sabarly)

Default Another Sherman wreck in the Franqueville-Authie-Buron area

I do believe that this is a Sherbrooke tank, if only because 'B' Sqn in both 1H and FGH were all DD tanks, and if this photo was not shot on 7 June but later and this is a replacement tank, it probably would not have had the Sqn symbol painted on, or at least not in this nice way.

First, a close-up:

Next, two versions of another view of this tank, cropped slightly differently:

The above two photos stiched together:

A comparison with a panorama with CHASER and the two large barns in the background:

Finally, a photo shot from further away, credited to a German tank commander who claimed the kill (W. Kretzschmar in Pz IV No.536):

This of course is to take with much precaution, as are all similar claims, especially by SS men. The date however is perhaps less questionable, and if correct this would mean this is indeed another of the Sherbrooke 'B' Sqn tanks KO'd that day. This would also fit with the series of photos shot by a German KB on that day, showing BLITZ, CHASER etc.

The presence of a concrete pylon should mean that the wreck is either on a road (maybe the track behind the tank) or very close to one, possibly the road between CUSSY and FRANQUEVILLE. If the barn behind is indeed the one just south of AUTHIE, then the tank should be somewhere along the red line, possibly inside the red circle here - or maybe under the "German Gun Position" label?

One thing that bothers me, apart from the lack of a visible wreck inside the circle, is the treeline behind the barn. If we could see some trees on an extension of this aerial view towards the northwest I would be a bit more satisfied with this theory.

Finding out whose tank this is does not look easy, because so many Sherbrooke tanks were lost this day...

Michel