View Single Post
Old 14-07-11, 02:48
Bluebell

Default Alistair

They have a wide bronze bush in each side. If it was in nice cond. it would just slide off. There are a few possibilities; 1. schrapnel damage 2. they have seized due to lack of lube, and could be gaulled (bronze or steel has picked up on the other. 3. the unit has big wear, and it is caught on a wear shoulder. This is unlikely as you cant turn it.
First, what are you trying to save? I suspect it the axle (the casting is not a Loyd one?)
I would work on shedding weight. Start with the penetrating oil.Remove the nuts from the rods. Get/make a puller for the rods, and draw the rods back far enough to move the other end clear of the holes in the bogie fork. Remove the axles and wheels (all 3)
Remove the clamp bolt and punch out thr bogie fork pivot pin. ( one end has the collar pinned to it. the other end has a lead on the pin. drive from this end) Remove the arm. (there are seals in here-might be hard to get)
Now back to what you want to do. If you dont want the casting you could cut it. If you want to keep it, you are going to have to set up a puller to drag the casting off by pushing on the shaft. you will probably need to fabricate some sort of strong back to go around the cross shaft.
The springs dont look like Loyd ones either, they look like U.C. ones.
Are all Loyd springs the same? Hope some of this helps. I really enjoy your posts. Cheers.
Note:Remove you brass pressure valve first, and put it in a safe place.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 14-07-11 at 02:55.