View Single Post
Old 17-04-17, 17:08

Default Canvas doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Are the canvas doors original design if so lots of photos please, this may be a route for those restoring a CMPs that are missing the doors.
Only if they are restoring an Australian-built CMP. The demountable canvas doors are unique to 1944+ Australian production CMPs, as are the side curtains that fitted them.

Mark: the registration appears to be 208276, which was a 'Truck, Heavy, GS, Dropsides', Chevrolet C60L, chassis number 38443M64030, delivered 6 December 1944, disposed of on 24 February 1955. The 'M' indicates the vehicle was assembled at GMH Fishermen's Bend Plant (M = Melbourne). Nice truck, by the way, and in post-war RAAF livery, too. You'll probably find Khaki Green No.3 under the blue paint, but by that late stage of the war, I doubt you'll find a camouflage pattern, (but would be happy to be proved wrong on that assumption!)

Mike K: If only RAAF Historical had taken more notice of my recommendation in late 1994 to transfer the registers to the AWM, to reside with the Army registers that have all lately been made available on-line. Instead, the reply (from RAAF Logistics Management Unit in Feb 1995 - I still have the letter) was that they were to be housed at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook, and were transferred there later that year. According to the museum librarian in about 2001 when I visited, they were recalled some years later by RAAF Logistics, (much to her annoyance), and have not been seen since. The letter I recd in February 1995 in part states '...the advantage of this facility is that the records would retain their Air Force identity and still be available for research purposes.'

Hmmmmm......

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 17-04-17 at 19:50.