View Single Post
Old 25-06-17, 11:31

I think you are a little tough on him Mike. It is a private home movie, obviously put together and voice overed 70 years after the event. Probably his grandkids made him do it and they put it up on Youtube?

It is not an historical educational doco. I reckon it is better than most private movies done and sticks pretty well to interesting stuff with a minimum of long views of distant scenery or flowers.

He got a lot of "real life" activity that he thought interesting and official camera men would not have bothered with. I think that is the real value of these home movies.

This is a very good story of the Milne Bay battle. Although small in the scheme of things it was the first defeat the Japanese had suffered on land and the first time American troops came in contact with the Japanese in New Guinea (the US Army engineers who had built the first two strips, later added to with a third). The USAAF added to the local defence by the Australian Kittyhawk squadrons by shooting down any Japanese aircraft trying to reach Milne Bay from Buna. American B25, B26 and B17 from Port Moresby and Townsville made a number of attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Milne_Bay

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 25-06-17 at 11:54.