View Single Post
Old 21-11-20, 23:31

It has been an interesting last three days.

On Thursday, I finally decided to tackle resetting the 7 – 16 MC PA TUNING DIAL to ‘0000’. What I discovered was that if you backed off the four small screws holding the dial assembly to the rest of the Counter Frame, the two gears would separate. You only have to back the screws off until the ends of them are flush with the back of their hex nuts to accomplish this, fortunately. What is extremely important here is that the coil in question MUST be at its Zero Stop, along with its associated Flexible Coupling on the Counter Gear assembly, and the Indicator Dial must be in its final mounting position relative to the front panel. Hence my masking tape marker project earlier.

It all sounds a little tricky, and it is. It took me 8 attempts to do it. On seven of them, the two parts of the flexible coupling kept moving out of alignment with one another, which changes the entire geometry of the assembly. After the seventh attempt, I realized a simple piece of masking tape over the flexible coupling while in its proper resting orientation, would hold the pieces stable until the reset was completed.

With the tape in place and the two gears separated from each other, I could use a small screw driver to carefully move the dial gear back to get the dial at ‘0000’, and then retighten the four screws to pull the gears back together. Things looked pretty good. The dial was in the correct position, resting on a small wood block with all zero’s showing. And then the wooden block fell away and I heard the dreaded sound of the SPRING, Coupling Retaining flying off to Never land.

Hoping the spring was on the work desk somewhere, I picked up the Sender and turning it to one side to check underneath it. I did this too aggressively. The other Counter Assembly swung to one side and I heard its spring go for a trip and land somewhere to the left of the desk about six feet away. That one I found after about five minutes of searching down low on a black rubber mat with a flashlight. I did not find the other spring until Friday evening after a forensic cleaning of the desktop and a search of the floor 5 timed with a work light held close to the floor. I used a different angle with the light each time and on the 6th attempt spotted the errant spring on the carpet, basically where I had been standing the day before.
It took most of this morning to figure out the best way to reinstall the two retaining springs, but once reinstalled, I wasted no time in getting the front panel of the Sender reattached. All missing, broken and incorrect hardware has been replaced. The Sockets, Aerials has been remounted to the front panel with just the one screw that fits the front panel only. It is difficult to get to once the panel is on the chassis. The other two screws pass through the front panel and the chassis frame and will be reinstalled once I locate correct external tooth lock washers for them.

All chassis hardware has now been reinstalled. The only remaining ones to go are the upper adjustment screw for the Flick Stops for each dial.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 55.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 56.JPG