Thread: Info needed: Building a repro LRDG 1940 Chev.
View Single Post
Old 15-02-19, 23:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Singleton View Post
Hi Bob,
If I recall the C-15 front axle has the front spring mounting points further apart than a civilian truck. I think the axle is from a cabover truck. ... It may be easier to make up some adapters to allow the CMP wheels to fit your existing hubs, but I am not sure if the track width would be ok.
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere
The LRDG now with Rick Cove is puzzling us because the front view ,shows an axle that according to the CMP manuals at hand to be for the C8 with ribbed brake drums. The parts manual has diagram showing the physical differences between the C8 and the C15 front beam axle and there is further differences with the LRDG front axle build in Canada(1941-42) which I believe was taken from a HD COE 3 ton truck with roller bearing instead of bicycle wheel ball bearings. So at this stage I am not sure what his underpinning is....may have been a 3/4 ton truck...but I know it looks good.
Does the answer to the question of the front axle have to be an "All or None" situation? I'm thinking that the C15 style hubs (pictured in post #5) and spindles might be able to be fitted on to the narrower civvy beam axle by pulling the kingpins and swapping them over?