View Single Post
Old 09-04-18, 01:10

Default 5th Canadian Division carrier ambulances

I have always been interested in ambulances and heard about modified Universal carriers the 5th Canadian Division made into ambulances but never saw any references to them until I bought the Canadian Army Newsreels DVD set put out by the War Amps and there it was in black & white, 2 of the Modified Carrier ambulances rolling past the reviewing stand! I paused the TV and took pictures of them. Does anybody have any more information on these type of carriers? If you have the Canadian Army Newsreels set then on Disc 5, Issue 74, 5th Division Finale you will see them roll past. I would love to convert my carrier into this configuration but unfortunately I am cursed with Original armor on my carrier and cannot get myself to break out the cutting torches and do the dirty deed! One thing that is noticeable is the side armor runs all the way to the edge of the back deck. Rob Love found a couple of images on the internet for me of a model carrier ambulance in this configuration and shows that the cut out back armor was used to extend the side armor for more protection for the casualty. I wonder if the modeler had official photo's or documents to go by or just guessed at the configuration? Would love to learn more about the carrier ambulance modifications. Anybody?
Regards,Derk
Attached Thumbnails
carrier ambulance 4.JPG   carrier ambulance 3.jpg   carrier ambulance 2.jpg  
Attached Images

1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)