View Single Post
Old 20-06-06, 20:06
MLU Administrator

Default survivors

In Ebay: Heavy Utility for auction..... Colin Macgregor Stevens wrote:
Quote:
I do not believe I know of this particular C8A HU-ZL. This wireless repair vehicle model is VERY rare. Four days ago I dropped into Williams Lake, BC and visited with Roy Wellburn. His original and complete HU-ZL (ex-Western Command) is still there in his collection.

"Wheels and Tracks" reported an HU-ZL derelict in California (a small photo was shown in the letters to the Editor), and I believe I heard of one in Europe. The Canadian War Museum traded off their HU-ZL (a rust bucket) to Andre Gibeault of Montreal who was rebuilding it. The ebay one may be the 4th or 5th known survivor.
...and Brian Gough wrote:
Quote:
The MACH ZL in California (W&T 44, p.45) is still owned by Mark Coombs of San Diego and is being restored. It is a ZL-2, built May 11, 1944 on contract LV2611.

Another MACH ZL was identified here in southern Ontario by Peter Ford (INFOEX), owned by Frank Grant in Limehouse. It is also a ZL-2, built May 15, 1944 on the same contract. I have never seen this one and don't know of its condition. Possibly it is the one listed for sale.

The Canadian War Museum MACH ZL "rust bucket" that went to Andre Gibeault is now completely restored and like all of Andre's CMP restorations could best be described as stunning. This is a very early model, possibly built in March 1942.
On the subject of survivors, I just came across an old ad in Keep Them Rolling's newsletter "Top Secret" of June 2002, where a member offers for sale an unrestored 1944 Chevrolet C8A MACH ZL2 for €7.000,- (I don't know if it was sold and for how much).

H.