Thread: Info needed: Early mirror arms
View Single Post
Old 15-12-20, 22:47

Default The long arm........of the law.

I believe there are 3 different sizes.

Will need to look around inthe barn.

I have example of the 13 and 17 inch long arms...... the longer I believe was used on gun tractors with larger bodies...... 13 inches being more popular on cab 11 and 12......

Some factoids...... the arms do not bend and will not fit inside a sea container to store you truck.....unless you remove and re-install every time.

The arms are some kind of drop forging....... if bent they will straighten out with heat and some care.....

On the cab 11( and 12) the cast arm is held by the same bolts that holds up the windshield frame post. Normally the two bolts thread into a captive nut inside the corner of the cab inside the engine compartment. I CHEATED...... I replaced the captive nut with a regular 3/8 bolt with the head and lock washer from the inside and cut a thread into the cast iron windshield support bracket....then tightened the bolt from the inside while the engine sheet metal was removed. The bolts were left long enough to allow the mirror arm to be bolted easily from the outside without loosening up the windshield.

I still have to remove the mirror arm to store the truck inside my tight fitting sea can......but it is now a 2 minute job.

There was a later retro-modification done to the later cab 12 which allowed the use of the lighter pipe type arm as used on the cab 13 using the hinge pin and another cast piece.....allows more adjustments and flexibility.

As you walk around your truck.........Have you every walked into the solid mirror arm of a cab 11?????? your head will not bend it!!!!!

Cheers
Canada