View Single Post
Old 02-09-15, 19:57

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply :-)

In answer to your question about the winch.... Yes I have used her only twice ! The first occasion was whilst towing my Bofors around a field. It had bee rating here in the West Country for weeks...... The ground clearance on the Bofors is fairly poor and the jack stabiliser discs dug into the the ground and started to plough up the field... Eventually the all four wheels on my LAAT were spinning. I slipped tow of the gun and drove the old girl out no problem. I had never used the winch before and decided to try it out !
I ran the cable out and hooked it up the the gun.... The winch pulled it out effortlessly !
I was rather impressed ..... It destroyed the field though lol.

Yes I have the winch scotches but didn't need to use them in the end as the hand break seemed to hold the LAAT ?

The second time I used the winch was to see how long the cable was. I over cooked it and ran the complete cable off the drum . Very long indeed. I hooked up to my VW Polo and rewound the cable back in under weight.

I took the old girl for a road run yesterday evening (20 mile round trip) she ran fine ... But I will still carry out further checks that other forum members have kindly instructed !

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Mark

1944 CMP F60 LAAT
1942 Canadian 40mm Bofors Gun
1940 BSA M20
1944 Military Cycle Bike