Thread: Canadian WS27
View Single Post
Old 28-03-15, 10:01
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I don't think it was patterned after the SCR536. There are more differences than similarities. The SCR536 (BC611) is a xtal controlled radio in the frequency range of 3.5 - 6Mcs. The receiver portion is superheterodyne.

The WS27 covers the range of 21 - 39 Mcs and has variable tuning for certain channels. It employs a regenerative receiver. It is not self contained like the BC611 as the battery pack is separate. It also uses headphones rather than an integrated speaker/mic.

I've seen the prototype and Hing's notes on the design.There is no reference to any other radio. Was he influenced by the Handie-Talkie? Possibly but the only similarity is the push-to-talk switch and the extending of the aerial to turn the radio on.

A memo dated 29 Jun 44 from Brig. Genet, Chief Signal Officer, Canadian First Army, with reference to the WS27 states that "They will replace the 38 sets, which is in poor repute throughtout the British Army".

I had a look at my notes and the highest s/n found so far is 902. My own s/n is 404, probably made a few hours after yours!

Last edited by Bruce MacMillan; 28-03-15 at 10:46. Reason: update info