View Single Post
Old 18-05-06, 22:24

Just one more comment as Tony has brought the thread back up. Most of the vapour lock problems are suffered by Fords. It does happen to Dodges but mainly when people remove the heat shield on top of the fuel pump and allow radiated heat from the exhaust manifold to roast the pump when stopped. I think most Dodges seem to have had this shield removed for convenience or during a fuel pump change.

My Carryall suffered badly from vapour lock after stopping on hot days. Replacement of the shield fixed the problem.

Fords on the other hand are behind the eight ball from the start. The fuel pump position on Chevs and Dodges is at the bottom of the engine but the Ford is on top requiring an additional lift capacity of about 18 inches. This does not seem much but when you are talking about only 3 or 4 psi to start with and it requires roughly half a pound a foot to lift fuel the Ford pump has to work much harder.

The pump is very convenient to work on but the position is extremely poor. If I was a freezing doormouse this is exactly the place I would choose to warm up if I found myself in a Ford CMP.

Lang