View Single Post
Old 20-11-22, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
You do have to kind of teeter the end of the axle upwards as well as rotate the axle shaft slightly to get it into the splines of the differential. I can't say I have ever had any problem doing this, but over the decades I have likely done this thousands of times on various vehicles of similar design full floating axle.

Once you get it into the splines, you should be able to rotate the axle shaft to line up with the hub's studs. Since the transmission isn't installed, you will be able to do the same on the second side, since the differential action of the differential will allow you to rotate the axles independently of each other. It's not so easy if you had a positive traction type differential....on those you would have to rotate the drum to line up the studs.

Good luck...we have all been frustrated at one time or other when something doesn't seem to work like it should. I can't count the times I was frustrated with a job late into the evening, and a good nights sleep seems to solve the problem.
Hi Rob !
We work for the portuguese military museum of military vehicles, and many, many axles we already put in, even in our private work (our own cars). It is a easy job.
This one puzzles me (puzzle us) . . .
After the weekend we have a “little” work to do that is pick-up a M60 (the last one from almost 90) in a trailer from its previous unit to the museum.
After that, lets take care of the axes.
Thanks !