View Single Post
Old 25-11-22, 19:13
Dan Dolan

Default on restorations and being a 'keeper'

Thanks for the comments....As I get older (and I am now old ) I appreciate the note of being a "caretaker for someone in the future." I did my restorations for my own fun and enjoyment and in honor of Capt. Vince Dolan, a B24 pilot in the 15th AF in Spinazola, Italy in early '44 and did his 25 over places like Munich, Mostar, Ploesti, Fredreckshaven, and Zwolfaxing; never spoke much about what he did even though I asked a lot of questions. AND, since I could not afford a B24, or any warbird for that matter, I chose the cheaper alternatives of WWII armour and trucks. I could have used his help with my restorations. I think he would have enjoyed helping.
But, the real joy in restorations for me is chasing the parts, researching the vehicle histories and uses, and learning the inner workings. As we restore we all become experts on the hows and whys of what we are working on. The zillions of photos are for the next guy doing one or owning the one you just finished. I let others drive my vehicles in parades and save my piece for the static display/education exhibits; still enjoy shooting the main guns and MGs.
Don't know about you but I never get tired of giving the spiel about where the vehicle was used, who crewed it, where it fought, where it came from and how it got restored. Done that until I lost my voice more than once.
I did the stag because it was rare and a Chevy and the next step up and counterpoint armoured car to the Greyhound M8 (which I had done a decade before and still own). I am and will continue to help Rod in Phoenix with his stag restoration and be a resource for Olaf, like Marco and Tobin were to me.
It's fun to see the innovation of engineers and industry from 80 years ago and see how many 'off the shelf' and truck parts that became armoured vehicle parts with slight modifications. Hellcats, Shermans, Chaffees and armoured cars share a lot of common bits.
The below photos show the 460th BG carryall and a car show that had a TD as a 'car' on display