View Single Post
Old 23-05-11, 22:43
former Resident Historian

Default Earliest MCP orders

Quote:
It strengthens my idea that the Modified Conventional Pattern class were Canadian-built vehicles primarily built to meet British War Office specifications after the Fall of France had decimated their vehicle inventory.
I see where you are coming from here and it is well thought-out but the evidence shows that this may not have been the case. The first reference to the British Purchasing Commission placing orders in Oshawa was around 22nd June 1940, so the Ministry of Supply must therefore have been intending to place orders for DND Pattern and Commercial Pattern trucks some weeks earlier and thus before the Fall of France.

S/M 2005 totalled 4,787 Chevrolet 3-ton 1941 Model CC60L 4x2 trucks, split 3,150 for Egypt, 670 for Mombasa and 867 for England with 71 Stores, Wreckers and Machinery split 50 for Egyptt, 10 for Mombasa and 11 for England.

Demand 2004 totalled 5,742 3-Ton Ford 3-ton 4x2 EC098TFS trucks plus 86 of each of Stores, Wreckers and Machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Do you fellows know more about the Australian "Local Pattern" ??

Anyone know of or have access to Australian army archival inventory lists, specifications etc??
Tony, an interesting query! I don't know the answer myself about Local Pattern but there may be some information in the Ford and GM books by Norm Darwin published by Eddie Ford. I would be interested to know more myself.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 23-05-11 at 22:46. Reason: formatting