View Single Post
Old 25-05-11, 22:20

Hanno,

My gosh, this is getting confusing! Firstly, let me say that I think you may be right in speculating that degree of militarization is stipulated by each contract. That would be quite logical, indeed. Thanks for providing that scan. Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to move this portion of the thread as you mentioned, since it appears to have veered into U.S. 1942-style Fords.

Thanks also for providing the link to the Flathead Model ID Chart. It seems to answer a lot of questions. For example, the 2GT I posted from my book looks to be a 134" truck, and it looks like there were 1941, 1946, and 1947 versions, too. I assume that if any were produced in 1943-1945, they'd still use the 2GT designation, though I'm not sure. I'll ask Jim Wagner.

Now, as you pointed out, there are the following 158" types: 1G8T (1941), 2G8T (1942 or 1942-1945), 6G8T (1946), and 7G8T (1947). You're suggesting that perhaps the G8T designation does not refer to a different truck, but is a generic term for that type of truck produced during 1943-1945 since the specs would have been unchanged from 1942. That does seem plausible. But I wonder if perhaps the designation was officially changed to this during the war, after 1942. Jim does refer to the G8T in his Ford truck book as a 1943-1944 model for the military. I will consult his book, and that of Tim O'Callaghan, to see what other data is available.

I've also sent our questions to Jim via email, as you asked. If he doesn't have the answers immediately, he will be able to research, as he volunteers at the Benson Ford Research Center, from where I obtained the Ford production and delivery charts I sent you. It may take a bit of time, but he'll be able to supply us with data.

I'm eager to get to the bottom of this!

Kind regards,

Bill