View Single Post
Old 18-12-11, 03:40

Default Belfield Collection circa 1980

Hello all

Judging by the interest in John Belfields collection of Military Vehicles, I thought members would be interested in the following photographs I took of his collection way back in 1980. As most of the photos depict armoured vehicles, I felt it appropriate to place this thread in 'The Armour Forum'.

Whilst visiting Victoria (from Western Australia), I spent some time helping John out with his MV collection. At the time these photos were taken, John lived somewhere in the Dandenong hills if I remember correctly (someone will be able to clarify this location). This was prior to the relocation and establishment of the Melbourne Tank Museum at Narre Warren North.

As can be seen in a couple of photos, John was busily building (from scratch) a suitably robust low loader to transport heavier vehicles such as the Grants and Churchill to Narre Warren North. This move took place not long after these photos were taken. I later heard that the devastating 1983 Ash Wednesday bush fires swept through the region and completely destroyed the property just after the move had been completed.

Johns MV yard was divided into two distinct sections. The front yard housed the armoured vehicles whilst the rear yard housed the softskins (+ the odd light armoured vehicle). I remember quite clearly how these vehicles had simply been placed in a 'state of storage' and that little, if any, restoration work had been undertaken.

The following diagram shows the layout of John yards. I have included some tanks as this will give you a reference point when viewing the photos. The circled numbers in the rear yard correspond to the photo number so that, like the front yard, a reference can also be established.

Outside of the front yard sat a number of armoured vehicles which included a Japanese light tank captured by Australian forces at Milne Bay. Is this the tank the AWM is now restoring? I have shown in the diagram where the others were located.

The front and rear yards were chock full of goodies. The workshop was overflowing with spare parts. I remember seeing a dozen or more PIAT anti tank weapons sitting on one shelf. There was 'MV stuff' lying about everywhere on the ground. Whilst walking around, you needed to tread carefully so as not to trip and break your neck. Snakes were also a problem as fallen leaf matter was knee high in some locations which provided a perfect home for them.

The photos are now 30 years old so quality is not that good. I have however, attempted to improve the clarity of most by playing around with image settings.

As it has been 30 years since these photos were taken, please feel free to add to, clarify or update information about the vehicles shown in the photos as I would love to know where they may be today.

I will start with the vehicles outside the front yard.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 18-12-11 at 04:28.