View Single Post
Old 11-07-15, 04:44

Default Paint and GP Peculiarities

Thanks, Gents. Yes, Mike: I remember the stories about the 'odd' jeep - if only we could go back in time! The engine is a 9N tractor engine, a per-war tractor engine, but modified slightly for the GP, and the diffs and T/case are offset to the opposite side to a GPW and MB.

I have record of only one GP being imported to Australia, by direct purchase in late 1941. As you said, the ones there now are mostly recent imports.

It is quite a challenge, and I suppose that's what was part of the attraction when it was offered to me (I purchased it from Edmonton, Canada). I did a GPW many years ago, and now you can almost build one from repro parts there is so much on the market, so a GPW is mostly a matter of $$$ and time. The GP, however, is a whole new ball game: the standard Ford parts are reasonably easy to acquire - the dash assembly is standard commercial, for example, as are engine mounts. But the parts peculiar to GP are really difficult, and comparatively expensive when (if?) you do find them. The situation is improving, however, as a guy in the UK is producing some really nice quality stuff for GP, GPW/MB and GPA: I met up with him at the convention in Topeka a few weeks ago.

Paint: I've used Rustoleum red oxide enamel as the primer, and Rapco industrial enamel as the top-coat. I chose the Rapco early war Olive Drab 'semi-flat' because it is readily available and instantly 'repeatable' if in need of a touch-up or partial repaint. The colour is a shade lighter than the original GP's supposedly came from the Ford factory, according to the GP Oracles (mine is chassis 8920 - March 1941) but after some use, who could tell the difference anyway?

More later.....

Mike