View Single Post
Old 23-06-16, 04:45

Default GP 8920 progress

So long ago since I posted on this topic, I can't easily find the thread. Not to worry!

Lots done since the last post: a new workshop added to the rear of the existing garage, fitted out and now functional. The GP work has included refitting the springs, bushes and pins; rebuilding and installing both diffs; installing new brakes; rebuilding and installing the steering box; stripping the engine; lots of parts preparation (caustic bath followed by sand blast, prime and paint), and so on.

I decided to dispose of the two bodies and spare chassis - they are now on their way to the Netherlands - and get a repro body from the UK. That arrives in September. The front fenders/mudguards are presently being restored along with the grill, in Indiana.

Drums arrived back yesterday from being turned, and the park brake band has been relined. Now have to blast, prime, paint, and install new cones to complete the two axle assemblies. Wheels have been sand blasted, primed, painted and have the tyres mounted, so ready to install onto the axles.

Enjoying the process immensely - isn't that why we do all this 'stuff'??

First image is of the chassis in March during the install of the suspension; Image 2 is the front axle in early June with the brakes being installed; 3rd is the rear at the same time; 4th is the engine during strip-down, and the last is the clutch arm mount showing the original paint on the underside - nice to see some original paint and a crisp 'GP' number occassionaly.

Mike
Attached Images