View Single Post
Old 30-07-10, 23:18

From one who was there:

http://raoc.websitetoolbox.com/post?...light=brackley
Quote:
75 avd at brackley northants was a hugh ww2 bomber command airfield , it was known as RAFturweston, i think when i was there in the 50s there was 40 to 50,000 vehicles of all shapes and sizes ,a lot of them BLR they had just about every vehicle there was in the british army at brackley , and as i say the amount of space and ground was immense , ginger ,
apparantly it was a den of iniquity
Quote:
brian i had just been made up to cpl so no extra promotion , now i no jack d can vouch for us on the next one , 56 suez , petrol rationing , 75 avd brackley was a hugh field park with upwards of 40,000. vehicals of all shapes and sizes ,the bulk were beyond local repair and just parked on the old airfield that made up 75 avd , now most of these vehicals were still filled with petrol and diesel , and it was quite easy to remove into old jerry cans , the mt sgt and cpl and several others suddenly became quite rich , there was a ready market among local farmers and transport firms for diesel ,and an even bigger market among the various yank airfields and barracks for petrol as most of them had big cars , if i remember right the mps and sib ,pounced one day and carted off several ncos , the said ncos had to try to explain how they could own and run hugh buicks and pontiac american cars on army pay , several were national service men on 28 shillings a week , there was panic all round among the local farmers and yank military establishments , i do believ a few lads got colchester and a d d , but you have to hand it to them they were very enterprising , ginger