View Single Post
Old 13-07-17, 04:24

Robert. You will not find any hidden nuts or retainers inside the roof rail holes. I can assure you, these items were all secured by lag bolts, through the aluminum skin and into the underlying 1/4-inch plywood. They relied on good, solid wood to provide a secure anchor. If Gord Falk reads this thread, he may be able to obtain one from his 2K1 box and provide exact dimensions and/or photos of these lag bolts. The roof structure consists of an outer steel frame. A set of curved steel channels, identical to those used in the wall framing, run from side to side. The ends of these channels line up to the tops of the side channels. A layer of 1/4-inch plywood was then fastened to the top of the roof channels. Sheet aluminium was then placed down over the plywood, folded up under the edges on all four sides and the corners neatly welded. A series of predrilled holes were around the perimeter. The roof was placed onto the box and the roof channels were welded to the tops of the wall channels. Aluminum rain gutters were then slid in place around the perimeter of the roof on the outside. Three inch long aluminum, truss head slotted screws were then inserted through all the perimeter holes and screwed into steel fasteners on the upper inside of the walls to secure the gutters in place. These steel fasteners are identical to the two Jordan has posted photos of on the Signal Buzzer thread. Once all that was done, the interior 1/4-inch plywood would have been installed, starting with the two ceiling pieces. So, long story short, there is only the depth of the steel channels to work with on the roof to fasten anything safely. If you try and pour anything into this cavity, it will just flow down to the walls. Gord is in the process of taking apart the roof on his 2K1 box to replace the upper plywood, which has rotted out on his Wire 5. It is a huge task.

Bruce. Fantastic photos of the Gen Box for a special reason. The upper framework shows the portable chorehorse setup perfectly. This was standard for all 2K1 and 2K2 Wireless Bodies. The standard setup on the floor of the Gen Box was a second, permanent chorehorse. This can be confirmed by the wiring diagram found inside the fuse panel on the wall of the wireless body between the two right side windows. The wiring for the 110V Onan Generator is denoted with dashed lines around it stating it is an optional installation. The 2K1 boxes all came from Wilson, however, fully wired for either installation.

I do not know how exactly the permanent chorehorse was mounted to the floor of the Gen Box. Of the dozens I looked at at Princess Auto, I could not make sense at all of the surviving hole patterns in relation to the mounting holes for the chorehorse. I did find three 2K1 boxes with the same heavy steel plate shown mounted to the floor in your photos. The one with the two big grab handles. Coincidentally, those three 2K1 boxes also had a steel bracket holding a metal shroud mounted to the upper right corner of the Gen Box, above the two rifle brackets. Next to one of these brackets was a paper notice advising the Onan Generator must never be operated before this shroud was clipped in place over the exhaust pipe. It mentioned the model number for the Onan Generator, but it was unclear what was actually being protected. The other odd thing was that the presence of this plate setup strongly suggested that if an Onan 110V Generator was installed in a 2K1 Wireless Box for whatever reason, it must have been portable. Must have been a damned brute to move as well.

Sorry for the long winded rant.

David