View Single Post
Old 23-12-13, 06:18

Default small world David....

I just got off the phone with Henry Hill of Burnaby B.C. A navigator in a Halifax Bomber during WW11, Henry always comes with our group when we do parades and stands proudly in the trucks waving to the crowds. Anyway, we were talking of current books we're reading and it turns out we are both reading books from the same author (Mark Zuehlke). Somehow during the conversation Henry mentioned Carberry Manitoba and I had mentioned to him David's thread on the subject. Turns out that Henry was stationed there or did business there after the war (not sure of the years). And yes....he does remember the airport, or parts of, being sold off to a "potato farmer" by the name of Simplot. And David....he only paid $100.00 for the whole shootin' match!!
But he also remembers a flight of 14 to 16 P51 Mustangs flying into this airport and being parked along the edge of the runways. And they were put up for sale. Price (fasten seat belt!) $1000.00 each. An American bought up pretty well the whole lot, as he knew a deal when he saw it.
So it is...from the horse's mouth so to speak. If you have any other questions re Carberry, let me know. I'll be seeing Henry and his wife Christmas Eve. Cheers.....Robert