View Single Post
Old 25-03-18, 22:14

Default 4.5" howitzer questions

Some years past I acquired one of the above units imported into the U.S. in the 1960s era. It is a live registered unit and includes the limber/ammunition trailer. It has always been stored either in a shipping container or under a good roof, so its condition is essentially as it left MOD: that is, it is greasy and dirty, but not rusty. 99% complete, including the sights. It is on rubber tires, tho it is my understanding that it originally was on wooden wheels.

It is getting near the head of the line in restoration projects, so the issue of doing it ourselves or moving it on in its present condition has arisen, leading to the following questions.

1. Is it desirable/possible to convert it back to wooden wheels, and if so, are the parts available? As a display piece it seems to me wooden wheels would be more attractive, at least it would be to me. Tho to a shooter the rubber tires are no doubt better.

2. Is the limber/ammo trailer significant? It appears that some here have seen fit to restore some fairly rough specimens.

3. If it is not improper to inquire, can anyone suggest a range of value?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Don't recall ever posting here before, and don't view very often, so if I'm out of line just advise.

Barry