View Single Post
Old 13-07-18, 07:32
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let you know that I am still alive and that I have started work on the M8 again after my hand surgery.

With the help of a local mechanic, we got the problem flange off the pinion shaft on one of the axles. As you can see, the pinion shaft needs a clean-up and the bearing cups and cones need replacing. The pinion shaft on the remaining axle looks good so I have left that in place, although it does need a new oil seal in the pinion shaft cover.

The axles are at the sandblasters now for priming and painting and then I will drop them off to the truck mechanic and get him to reassemble them. I have new bearing cups and cones for the differential assembly for both axles, new inner axle seals and new bearing cups and cones for the pinion shaft for that one axle, so will get them to reassemble everything with the new parts, and set up the preload and sideload etc.

I did some more work on the front axle and got that into place on the springs. It seemed to take a hell of a long time as my right hand is still not right after surgery. I had to battle away with jacks and cranes to get the axle in place and located on the pin on the springs. I struggle to hold a beer bottle tight enough in my right hand to unscrew the cap, which is a worry. I guess it will come right given some time. Anyway, the front axle is now in place and located on the front springs. The nuts and bolts need some touch up paint now to tidy everything up now that everything is locked down.

I’ve attached some pictures of the 37mm breech block I picked up (thanks DG). It should clean up nicely.

Does anyone have any pictures of the taillight wiring connections? I note there is one plug off the wiring harness in the rear of the hull which goes into the conduit fixed into the hull for the taillights. From what can see, this then splits into two connectors within the taillight mount for the taillight bulbs but I’m not sure what sort of connectors should be here to join the cables up. The manuals are unclear on this. Any help would be appreciated.

That is all.……
Attached Thumbnails
20180710_115303.jpg   20180710_115315.jpg   20180713_172119.jpg   20180712_114801.jpg   20180712_114807.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car