View Single Post
Old 27-12-06, 01:14

Default Portee material

Cliff

Understandable. For your info I probably should explain where I have been and what I have from a research perspective.

I started from the perspective of wanting to build a model of a CMP portee with a 2 pdr gun.

Looked at war diaries of 1, 2 and 3 Australian A/T Regts. Of these, only 3 A/T Regt has any info, and it is very detailed. 1 A/T Regt went to Greece, however, there are no entries for their time there. Pity really, as I'd love to know more about any possible use of portees in this campaign. 2 A/T Regt is also pretty slim.

71 LAD (att 3 Aust A/T Regt) is a corker. They generally include copies of their monthly work load. This includes the WD no, unit and work carried out for each vehicle duirng the month. Ohh for all AEME diaries to have this material, especially the armoured units.

I then went and looked at Liaision officer reports. Quite a bit of material her, primarily related to difficulties equipping units, and the use of captured Italian pieces.

The CO of 3 Aust A/T Regt has his personal papers lodged at the AWM. Unfortunately, these have not yet been access examined, though I have commenced the process. We'll see what they provide.

Hope this helps. Email me your snail mail address to work and I'll send you copies of everything I have.

cheers

Shane