View Single Post
Old 24-02-20, 10:51
F60S

Default Rotor arm now fixed

Not being willing to await the arrival of the rotor arm I had ordered from Mack Auto, I decided to fix the broken one.
I removed the head of the rivet holding the brass "contact" and revealed the broken end of the spring strip contact.
I commenced drilling the rivet out but the drill wondered off the hard rivet into the soft plastic as I feared so I drilled from the other side until I hit the rivet and then punched it out upwards.
I took the spring strip from a set of points, ground it to the correct width and drilled a hole through it (using a tungsten carbide spear point tile drill). I reassembled the whole using a self tapping screw but, fearing that the plastic would burst under the pressure of screwing the screw in I chose a small screw and Araldited it in.
I feared that the "contact" may have shifted in the process so I removed the distributor, assembled the rotor arm and cap onto it and turned it by hand. The "contact" did indeed foul the contacts inside the cap by about 1/32". Having filed this off the end of the "contact" everything is sweet and the Lynx now runs reliably again.
Alastair