View Single Post
Old 27-11-20, 10:18
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
I wonder if the 25Pdrs and LPOP's re-appeared during Konfrontasi?
Good question! It seems the 25-pdr guns, less breech blocks, were left on the ship. I would not be surprised to learn the Indonesian army managed to get them off the ship and put them back into use during the battle for independence. Though looking at the location of the Masela Island, it may have been too far out of their way. In that case the Japanese salvage company found some nice heavy scrap on board...

From http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine1.htm (my bold):
Quote:
Salvage attempts were unsuccessful and the vessel was abandoned as a total loss. However, as the vessel was carrying a number of 25 Pounder artillery guns for 16th Forward Regiment and in view of the unrest then prevailing in nearby Indonesia, steps were taken by the army to remove the breech blocks from the guns on board. Masters of company vessels passing through that area for many years thereafter reported Wahine was still "high and dry" on Masela Island.
From https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-emu (my bold):
Quote:
On 16 August 1951, the 4436 ton New Zealand troopship Wahine, carrying 575 troop reinforcements bound for Korea, grounded on a reef near Masela Island some 250 miles north of Darwin. A passing oil tanker, Stanvac Karachi, rescued the troops and crew, ferrying them safely to Darwin. Left behind, however, was a salvageable cargo, estimated to be worth somewhere between £20,000-£50,000, comprising military equipment and stores. A few hours after the grounding, Emu’s then captain, Lieutenant Commander John Toulouse, RANVR, flew over Wahine in an RAAF aircraft to assess the situation with a view to establishing whether the vessel might be pulled clear. He observed that almost half of Wahine’s length had passed over the reef, correctly concluding that the ship was lost. The following day Toulouse received orders to proceed to the stricken ship with instructions to recover what equipment he could. Emu’s crew subsequently removed all arms, ammunition, equipment and canteen stores along with 25 percent of the crew’s and troop’s baggage. As Emu left the scene, hundreds of Masela Islanders could be scene descending on the vessel. Following a return visit to the Wahine, Lieutenant Commander Toulouse reported the vessel as being in a desolate state having been systematically looted of all remaining cargo and fittings.
From https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...opship-wahine:
Quote:
Even before all the troops had left the ship, natives from neighbouring islands were already climbing aboard to see what they could get their hands on.

He [Ivan Dawson] believes the weaponry was removed from the boats to prevent it falling into the wrong hands.

After that, natives from the neighbouring islands were free to raid it after it was abandoned.