Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 25-01-15, 08:44
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
If overseas procurement was available, then why did AWA make the 19 set ?

My understanding is that overseas procurement was not available and that is why AWA made 19s.

My Australian archives search indicates the first batch of Stuart M3 were occasionally fitted with No 11 sets as there were insufficient No 19s available. Though on line histories indicates AWA production starting in Feb 1943 the Archives speak to AWA having trouble getting up sufficient production numbers of No 19 sets in August of 1942 . So far as I am aware all of the Stuarts that went to Buna were fitted with No19 and remnant artifacts support that.

I have Canadian and Australian dials watch holders power supplies etc etc and they all seem to be interchangeable as do the distribution boxes of which I also have a few of both.

So far as the valves are concerned. My Australian manual lists the same valves as those used in the Canadian and US production models .
6K7, 6V6 6D6 6H6 and so on and those are the valves in the spare valve boxes I have .
I don't recall AWA "inventing" different standard vacuum tubes to those that were bog standard in everything from mantle radios early T.Vs to radars and Tank radios . I think the ol 6v6 was in everything that was ever
invented.
Mind you its a few years since I had the 19 out on the bench .
Gina I have owned 3 or 4 of the AWA wartime 19 sets . The front end valves are 6U7G's from memory , not 6K7's as in the overseas sets . AWA also did a strange thing, they dropped a IF amplifier stage and added a second audio amp stage . Sounds to me you have never owned one of these sets or seen a manual for one .

The knobs are different , AWA used the 11 set knobs , probably as they already had the dies for these . Yes the headphones and control boxes will interchange with overseas 19 sets , but the heart of the set, the circuit is totally different, believe me

Another thing, the AWA 19 set has a rectangular shaped meter escutcheon , this is unique .

What is the manual you have ?

Don't be confused by the post war 1952 rebuilt sets - these have a Aust. plate on them . The rebuilt sets are actually British sets and were rebuilt here in Aust. 1952 , using PVC wiring , I've also owned a few of these . The front panel is typically a light duck egg blue colour .

The vacuum tube industry here was always trying to keep up with new developments, they had to improvise on a grand scale . For example you will often see 6U7g's in the front end and IF amps of wartime sets made in Aust. Probably as these tubes were easier to manufacture , that's my guess . I've seen them in amenities sets and the Phillips no.4 receiver as well.

BTW the 3 AWA 19 sets I had, are now at the AWM in Canberra, along with my coast watcher sets and lots of my other wartime wireless sets . Mike Cecil came here in the AWM van and took them away !

Found this pic of a AWA 19 set ( note the square meter and the No. 11 set style knobs) , sitting above the AWA built AT5/AR8 set ,primarily a RAAF set but the army also used it and also used a 6U7g in the front end I believe

Radiotron was a AWA brand
Attached Thumbnails
101486.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 25-01-15 at 10:32.