View Single Post
Old 11-01-19, 22:00

A little bit more cleaning up work done on the Main Set Receiver this last week as I removed all valves with their related shields and caps and gave everything a good cleaning to get all surface dirt and oils off of them. Three or four valves showed a slight bit of looseness between the glass envelope and the base plug assembly, but nothing alarming. To be expected with 75 year old putty I suppose.

Prior to cleaning the valves, I had warmed the receiver up and used the Meter to test the valves it was intended to and found no response for V1B and V1F. After cleaning and reassembly, I rechecked the two valves on the Meter. The first couple of times on each valve, nothing. On the third time moving the selector switch to each questionable valve, the Meter Indicator twitched. Fiddling the switch a bit resulted in excellent readings for both valves. Turns out the problem was oxidation buildup on the switch contacts and not the valves. I have a can of contact cleaner kicking about somewhere, but have had it in the shop for quite a few years now. Might be best to purchase a new can and toss the old one when I find it. But in the meantime, another little problem solved.

The Handles No. 72 and Screws, Clamping No. C2 on the Frequency Dial of the Main Set Receiver are very badly chipped and oxidized. On my backup receiver, these items are mint, so I have decided the next project will be to swap them out. This means digging out my overhaul manual for the WS No. 19 and refreshing my memory on the correct procedure as it has been a while since I last did that work and it involves a number of fiddly bits and correct sequences as I recall. Interestingly, the Drives, Capacitor, No. C1 used on the 52-Set is identical to the one used on the 19-Set, but the 52-Set Parts List notes that the Drives manufactured for the 52-Set were built to higher tolerances than those for the 19-Set.

David