View Single Post
Old 30-03-19, 23:23

Default WS No. 52 Cdn Voltmeters

You may have noticed in the previous post the voltmeter is no longer present on the backup receiver. It is now destined to replace the meter on the Main Set Receiver, as that one has a cracked Lucite face and happens to be the same make as the one on the backup receiver. Once I have removed the damaged voltmeter from the Main Set Receiver, I will send it off to have the Lucite face replaced and that meter will become the ‘Spare’ for the 52-Set.

Quite a few markings turned up on the back of this voltmeter, including the manufacturer’s ID cast into the center circle, between the two terminals.

DE J
USA

If anyone recognizes this company logo, please let me know who it is. As you will see in the last photo, the ‘E’ is half the font size of the other two letters and there is a space between the “E” and the “J”, which leads me to believe the company name might be French.

Interestingly, the three mounting screws for this meter went into independent hex nuts at the back of the panel. Not reinforced tapped panel holes. This will make it interesting when it comes to installing the meter in the Main Set Receiver, as there is precious little working room back there when the meter is in place.

I thought I would document the various markings on the back of this meter. There is another manufacturer of meters for the 52-Set out there and it will be interesting to compare the two eventually.

At the top circumference, is a small yellow stamp “ASA”.

At the top most back of the meter is a large white rectangular stamp with the following centered in it:

CALIBRATED FOR
STEEL PANEL

Just below this is a round white ring with

D
INSP

Centered in it.

Below the terminals is a two part white number “150 24”. Perhaps the manufacturers stock number. It is one number too short for a CMC part number.

The last stamp is a large yellow bordered square below the left side terminal. This has “TESTED OK” stamped inside it.

The other marking shows up in the last photo, just above the left side (Positive) terminal. It is a handwritten mark, scratched into the bakelite that reads:

25/4/58
Fine

A possible inspection date.

I also noticed that the positive terminal is missing one brass washer. Each terminal should have two, the small ring connectors on the two meter leads fitting between the two brass washers. Fortunately, a local hardware store stocks older brass hardware so this piece can be easily replaced.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Voltmeter C.JPG   WS No. 52 Voltmeter D.JPG   WS No. 52 Voltmeter E.JPG