View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 19:57
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Thank you very much Chris for the detailed response. Does that mean that I am limited to the 6 feet of the No 5 lead ? If so, going back to my original question , what is the caliber of that wire please so that i can at least use a reproduction in an unmounted setup outside the truck ?
The problem with a long feeder lying on the ground is that it's going to reduce the signal power getting to the aerial mast (and also add capacitance that the variometer may have difficulty balancing out).

I was going to suggest the usual P11 cable that is used for aerial feeders in the UK by the army (and its equivalent on the Canadian WS19 and WS52 aerials - Wire, Electric, Single, No.12), which is rubber insulated, but the EMER lists "Wire, Electric, Single, High Tension, 7mm" for that connector (possibly because it will be in contact with the ground).

It's probably the copper-cored single stranded conductor type used for ignition wiring; just make sure you don't get the later "carbon string" sort!

The other possibility (if you have the space) is to use both masts and one of the wire aerials - then you don't need to worry about making another cable.

Best regards,
Chris.