View Single Post
Old 22-08-21, 20:01

I am still alive and sober!

The work on removing the V1D Grid Cap went pretty much as planned this morning with just one, improvised on the fly modification to the steps I had in mind.

As per the attached photos today, the Grid Cap pulled free easily when the soldering iron heated up the joint. Interestingly, the Grid Cap had a crimp fixture on the end of it that was not used. The lead was originally just laid on and soldered down.

With the Grid Cap and Sleeve safely out of the way, the next step was to join a 6-inch hook up wire extension to the grid Cap lead to allow for its retrieval from out of the Coil Assembly Shield, after the C7D Trimmer Cap was replaced. It was here the improvising took place. There was no working surface available to provide resistance or stability to the two pieces of wire that had to be soldered together. So I found a small strip of ¼-inch plywood and slipped it across the front section of the chassis under the two wires. I then lined the two wire ends up, one under the other and taped them in place. A touch of the soldering iron and a dab of solder and ‘done’.

My main point of concern with this step overall, was that the temporary extension of the Grid Cap lead was strong, and small enough to pass through the metal sleeve grommet in the hole on the top of the Coil Assembly Shield.

I took one of the spare Shields from the Spare Parts Receiver and tested putting the grid cap lead through it. A very slight resistance and the loom of the main wire passed in and out but all checked out just fine.

Next step will be to unsolder the three Coil Assembly leads needed to free up as much manoeuvring room behind the chassis as possible.

David
Attached Thumbnails
C7D Trimmer Cap 15.JPG   C7D Trimmer Cap 16.JPG   C7D Trimmer Cap 17.JPG   C7D Trimmer Cap 18.JPG   C7D Trimmer Cap 19.JPG