View Single Post
Old 15-11-20, 02:01
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Diagram by Louis Multse showing the connectors for the unit . Some Wire-5 truck was specificaly outfitted with a 110 V generator to power this radio amplifier . Post war they were replaced with 52 sets . The parts supply was thin . Only 500 were ever made and they were rejected by the Brits so nothing became of it and no further units were manufactured. The have become rare and difficult to find. The particular unit i bought today was used by it’s former owner to amplify his No 19 unit as it was designed for . He told me half the city of Arthabaska Qc lost their early 50’s black & white TV signal when he transmitted . He might of been exagerating a bit but at 86 years of age i did not argue and i had great fun listening to his every stories . He lived right next door to a Christian college that was a WW2 RCAF station during the war were aircrew learned radio telegraphy !
Good find! For some of this equipment it's if it finds you because there's no guarantee you will find it.

If I recall the Amplified Canadian 19 set could be switched to run on either 12 or 120 volts. Apparently if you did run it off 12 volt batteries it sucked them dry in a heartbeat.

Years ago I fired up my 19 amplifier on household current and it did what it was supposed to do. Young fool that I was I switched it off and opened it up to check for burning. It was only then I fully realized what capacitors do when I got a good zap up into my armpit. Oh...lessons learned!!