View Single Post
Old 23-11-20, 09:21
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default A way forward...

Many thanks to Michael R for his clear answers.

Living in the Antipodes, we have both UC1* and LP2/2A carriers. (plus a few Loyd, AOP and 3" Mortar from the UK)
The 200 UC1* that NZ received were early UC1* models, (T numbers in the early 50,000) series so the later parts books did not get here!

Original parts are getting scarce, and I am looking at a way to use NOS LP parts in a UC1* with a minor modification to look like the UC layout for the assembly at the base of the steering column.

The main differences in an LP2 are:
1. the thread type: UNF
2. thread orientation: both centre clevises are RH thread, and the outer ones are LH thread
3. both outer clevises have the same part no, with wide jaws, LH thread
4. the joining link to the RH bell crank has narrow jaws at each end

So my solution is to take a standard LP brake rod clevis and drill and retap it to 1/2" UNF LH thread, to replace the wide jawed outer clevis and use a UC stepped joining link TL4051.
This is then combined with LP centre clevises and screw adjusters to complete the steering column to bell cranks assembly.

Now awaiting the delivery of the new tap!

I have no doubt the RNZEME would have done the same - I found evidence in my hull that an LP2 engine and gearbox had been fitted, with exhausts going out through the rear plate.

Rob

p.s. pictures will follow in due course

Last edited by Rob Beale; 23-11-20 at 09:22. Reason: Clarity