View Single Post
Old 01-04-13, 02:21
Tony Baker

Default Paint mist / Overspray

Hello Jim,

Very good point! Some paint types worse than others. You wouldn't want to spray any varieties outside in suburbia. Not a problem for me here.

Which ever paint you use, if sprayed outdoors, and neighbours (or their cars etc...) are in proximity, they will get gassed and paint mist will settle in unwanted places.

Im glad you brought this up, Jim. Tony Ws paint shop may be taking his painting environment into account when they encouraged acrylic. Believe it or not, I met my wife as a result of painting a friends car in an enclosed garage that he chose, which belonged to a female friend of his who was sharing a unit with the girl who has now been my wife for nearly 25 years. I was in the process of spraying in the enclosed garage, when she opened the access door and walked in wihout realising the volume of acrylic paint mist inside. Needless to say she didnt hang around in there and retreated ASAP. It was in checking that she was OK that I came to meet her. Do note, it was acrylic paint. If it was poly or enamel, I couldnt have painted in that location. Would have been too unpleasent for those in nearby units etc., and the paint spray would have settled onto the garage floor. Once dried, you would not get it off the concrete. Thats the good thing about acrylic, it dries into a dust while still in the air, and unless it finds something to contaminate close to the place its being sprayed, it is just an annoying smell and lots of powdery dust. Not so simple with the other paint types. Their mist can travel 50 meters of so, while still being able to attach itself to something valuable when it arrives. Once again, not a problem for me here, but the front roller door of my workshop has a texture approaching 240 grit sandpaper, solely because of the enamel paint dust that has settled there.

Tip: to remove paint spray contamination that is not completely dry, use a soft rag with mineral turpentine on it. It works on a variety of surfaces, including vehicles with factory paint or repainted with anything other than enamel. You can even use it over enamel, so long as hardener was used and surface was not freshly painted.

Theres lots of consideration to achieving a good paint job!