View Single Post
Old 14-09-15, 00:28
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
folks I may have cracked the issue with B set antenna bases, I am going to make one for myself... Exact replica none working however I would be able to make working versions pending in how many PYE connectors I could muster.

Is anyone in need of a B set base ? I don't mind making a run of them if it's worth while.

Cheers
Richie
Pye connectors should not be a problem, since they were used for all manner of kit - ideally you should use the variety with plexiglas/perspex insulators to match the originals (not the Tufnol variety), and you will need to make up the "horseshoe" type retaining springs to replace the straight bar variety used with the elbow sockets. Note that the new bases came fitted with the wrong clip if they used the standard sockets - I have a bagged Canadian one (with NATO stock number) in the collection somewhere.

There is also a "civilian" variant in existence, with a flat disk base, rubber gasket, and captive fibre locknuts - this was post-WW2 and I suspect for commercial VHF radio telephones (police, ambulance, etc.) to use up the wartime stocks. They still have the embossed ZA stores code on the rubber though!

Chris.
p.s. Don't buy Pye connectors off eBay UK, it's a mug's game. They're much cheaper (a pound or less) in the bits boxes at amateur radio rallies.