View Single Post
Old 31-12-23, 22:05
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I drive the Iltis now primarily in the rural area. many of the tertiary roads are generally traffic free, although sometimes on Hwy 15..where speeds are generally around 90-100. To town is about 40km. However, for various reasons, I've only put a total of less than 300km year on the iltis for the past several years.

In terms of agri-vehicles, there are many on the secondary hwy as its a very agri region, and now these are mostly much much bigger than they were a few decades ago. Compare your average tractor now, to say a Ford 9n.

From what i've seen they are about 50% half off the road, and 50% of the time full on the road. People tend to not get too frustrated..perhaps because they are from the rural area and not so much city types?

I must say it is tremendously enjoyable on a nice day to dawdle along about 70-kmh on a quiet back road from town to town, or to hook up the trailer and collect a load of firewood about 40km round trip.
Haven't had the Iltis out on the 401 in many years, but even the big rigs do about 11- 115, and that's really the top I want to drive the Iltis.

In terms of a rant, the story of police pointing out potential infractions and hefty fines seems to be getting more common as I've heard other tales of people being pulled over for infractions that would be 100% "normal' just a few years ago. Either the police infraction quota has been increased, or more and more restrictive laws are being quietly passed creating just more bother.

Is it a case of being 'reasonably' safe and responsible or excessive restriction?

How many remember just a couple years ago Quebec wanted to ban all HMVs, then backed off but limited them to posted 70kmh roads, then thankfully to the efforts of a few Qc collectors, this was repealed...whew.