Thread: Alex Blair
View Single Post
Old 08-10-13, 21:41

Default Alex Blair, Part II

We moved to Ontario from Saskatchewan when I was 15. We took a moving truck and dad's lovingly restored 1964 harvest gold Valiant convertible (he SAID it was mom's - but it was his) through the states in an evil summer heat wave. We reached our next destination - Ingleside Ontario, just west of Cornwall, midsummer and unpacked. Dad had already started working for a contractor out of Cornwall, which he liked - he got the fun of meeting new people and fixing things without the headaches of business ownership. He stayed there for a few years, and finally got the itch to do it himself and started his own little contracting business out of Brockville.

He sold that to his partner and started working in Ottawa's west end just about the time my sister and I were in university. He moved around a bit, looking for new challenges, until he finally retired and starting stock trading.

Some of you may know the manuals story but I'll put it down again - this is how he found this forum and all of you.

My parents purchased a house for my sister and I to live in (and rented out the balance to students) while we were in university. Just as we were finished up they both decided that they wanted to move to Ottawa as it made more sense than running two households, let the renters know and returned the house to being a single family home. We lived next to a retired couple, and when the man passed away, his sons came to help, and they were cleaning out stuff that didn't make the cut for moving day. Dad looked out the window, decided to go and talk to the sons, and he found out that the dozens of boxes were from the man's work. He had worked for the government in procurement in WWII and had saved copies of all of the military vehicles R&O manuals he had ever used. Dad had the boys move the boxes across the lane from their back door into ours.

Dad, being a lifelong opportunist (and a bit of a packrat), asked if he could have them. The neighbour's kids said sure, and they moved all the boxes into a spare room of the house.

Dad worked his way through the manuals, realized what he had, made master copies of everything and contacted Dana Nield (I think) to see if he could put a copy of his manual list on his website. Dana agreed and the manuals repro business started.

Might have to edit for corrections later - but part three will be coming soon.

Last edited by Catherine Blair; 09-10-13 at 04:57. Reason: slight errors