View Single Post
Old 28-03-19, 11:31
Rick Cove

I am so glad to here that Graham is on the improve. I agree with you, Tony Van Rohda, It is better to have a flashing light to warn other road users of a slow moving vehicle.

A couple of years ago we drove our 1916 Albion with a cruising speed of 12 miles an hour, from Bandianna to Corowa for the WWI theme. I had a flashing light on the rear tailgate up quite high and Jill followed along behind with the hazard lights on in our 4x4, she also had a flashing double light up on the roof and CAUTION SLOW VEHICLE signs on the rear of the trailer. I checked with the Wodonga police before heading off. All went well. In 2006 I drove her down the Hume Highway to Wangaratta in the break-down lane with Jill behind in the 4x4 with the flashing lights and my son in his Holden Maloo ute also with a flashing light on top and the signs across the back of the ute. The main problem on the highway was the truck drivers having a sticky-beak as they went past. Two semis actually kissed as they passed me because the drivers were both looking at the Albion not the road. Fortunately all was OK. Before we left Wodonga the police came out and they took a photo of the Maloo ute as they reckoned that they would never see one going so slow again.

Here you can see the light on top of the 4x4 when I pulled up for a quick stop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5162.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	743.2 KB
ID:	106264

The veteran car clubs are currently approaching the Government to get the OK for slow vehicles to have warning lights on when out on the roadways.

Good luck Graham A.

Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.