View Single Post
Old 23-04-04, 23:40
Richard Notton

Default Re: One more for the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Thank you Richard, most gracious,

I'll lower the level of the debate slightly with something else that just sprang to mind.

We all know the Brits old lament about our American cousins during the war which went

“Over sexed, over paid and over here"

Well how about this for a 21C EU equilant

"Over taxed, over stressed and over crowded"

I thought of that just now and it made me grimace through the tears.

I must sign off now or the EU political correctness police will have a tap on my modem. I will be condemned to eating Muesli and driving sensible Euro greeny cars that do 80 miles to the gallon and look like roller skates.
I’m off down the pub in my gas gobbling pick up !!!

Toodal Pip !

Pete
Thank you, and while Pete makes his libations to CMPs everywhere, might I just commend Commission Regulation (EEC) No 1677/88 of 15 June 1988 laying down quality standards for cucumbers Official Journal L 150 , 16/06/1988 P. 0021 - 0025
Finnish special edition: Chapter 3 Volume 26 P. 0207
Swedish special edition: Chapter 3 Volume 26 P. 0207
as an illustration of stupidity.

See:
EU SPEC

Make special note of the requirements for cucumber straightness:
"be well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber)"

Consider the multitude of meetings around the EU gravy-train beano that were needed to write and agree this gem of legislation, remember that similar verbose ramblings are to be had on every topic under the sun and including the squareness of strawberries and a huge tome on the specification of duck eggs.

Even the most junior member of MLU should resist the crashing urge to read the outpourings of the EU commissions, one lifetime is wholly inadequate; many years ago it took just 18 articulated (semi) 40 ton GVW trucks to move the EU paperwork from one meeting location to the next, where we're at now is incomprehensible.

R.