View Single Post
Old 10-03-12, 22:06

Default February Update

Hi All

Well my progress on the HUP seems to have slowed to a visual stop. Body and parts work has progressed to the point where I have a lot of painting to do and it just has not been practical to paint even though I have set the shop up with flow through ventilation. But the real problem is that to paint I have to move the other two trucks out side an the never just has not cooperated to park them out side for a week while I paint.

Progress -

Been running the rebuilt engine in on the test stand, it starts and runs nicely and will idle all the way down to 400 RPM. Tone of the engine is nice and smooth at all speeds. Haven't got the low range tachometer yet but did pick up a (small diameter) tach on sale, which is a nice add to the test stand. Next step on test stand is to find an oil pressure gauge which is full sweep at like 60. But before I do I'm going to hitch all the different pressure gauges I have up to a single pressure source and see if they all read accurately, or at least agree.

Running engines in on the test stand during the winter has some real advantages it heats the shop up nicely. (The exhaust hard piped out of the building plus I've got good digital read CO2 alarm in the shop.)

Added a second temperature gauge to the test stand so that I now can read both rear of the block and at the water pump to see if the block is evenly cooled, which it is. The forward water pump location for the sensor is also a good location to consider for temperature sensor if you are using a different head which doesn't have the large fitting hole for the steam relief and sensor fitting.

List of minor stuff to fix on the engine as result of test running, minor coolant leaks at rear drain cock, thermostat housing, minor oil leak side oil cover though to really fix that one I'll have to remove the head and get the block and head truly aligned. Yup I missed these on assembly.

More progress to come soon, I hope.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com