View Single Post
Old 23-05-12, 01:00

Default Good points Bob

Hi Bob

Good points Bob, I'm trying to see if I'm over looking something simple and to line up my thinking before taking things apart again.

Your point about using the a drill to check the pressure and flow raises an interesting question what is the RPM of the distributor vs. RPM of the engine? I can not remember if it is one to one.

As to the max pressure you mention for the 261 same for my 261 and 235 they basically max out at 42 psi though they will go higher on cold start with cold oil. Once the engine oil is warm the bypass in the pump itself starts dumping. Now I will have to check a 216 pump to see if same pressure max.

Wonder if I should just change the oil, wonder if the combination of all the assembly lube or dilution. When I pulled the head to get a better alignment on the side gasket, I pumped several ounces of oil into each cylinder to prevent any coolant from getting into the sump. (see http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/H...12%20April.htm ) Because of how I drained and sucked the cooling system clean of coolant before removing the head there was no water in any of the cylinders when I pulled the head off. But I wonder if maybe I did dilute the oil with lighter oil?

Your idea of hitching the pump up to external source of oil with pan off to see if the crank or cam are dumping oil is a good one. Messy but good.

One of the reasons I wish the Hammond Barn was closer so I could just pop in and look at another 216 engine running with the valve cover off. But having said that I'll take the valve cover of the C60L after it is warm and see how much oil is coming through the bypass.

As to washing my hands afterwards I always wear the blue rubber gloves.

Appreciate your input.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com