Thread: Project PHOENIX
View Single Post
Old 22-09-03, 20:11

Default Steering.....

Wayne as the right concept...... back in the days of dune buggies ...(Yeah I know I'm old) once you removed all the body weight off the power trian the darn thing would not steer worth a pinch of coon s*** in loose sand unless you rigged up two independent lever to actuate the rear mergency brake.... worked like a charm. So unless you have a lot of weight on the front wheels be prepared for a lot of skidding on loose ground let alone going up a steep hill....

BUT... I have a question about the rear suspension. On a real halftrack don't they have some form of spring suspension or do they rely on the central mounted system to pivot and the boggies to flex????

That universal suspension looks very stiff.....

Now would you install the rear drive sprocket at the front and reduce the lenght of the drive shaft or have a long vulnerable drive tube to the normal rear drive axle.....??? again I beleive the White and Intern. had the drive axle up front.... could the front drive axle be mounted on springs and the trailing tracks be on air inflated coil bags ....

Now... if only I can remember where that abandoned UC is North of Maniwaki.... got a C60 frame...I would be almost there.... but I would use the largest GM six I could find ....now what to tell the wife??? It's going to be a long Winter....
Canada