Thread: Project PHOENIX
View Single Post
Old 24-09-03, 10:26
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Maultier

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
The German "Maultiers" (Mules) were simply half-track cargo trucks as opposed to the specifically built 3/4 track fighting vehicles. A potted history is well covered in the WWII Vanderveen "Bible" (P328), apparently the first being a field modification in Russia by SS Division "Das Reich" during '41/'42 using a Carden-Lloyd assembly, production versions used this in modified form (doubled road wheels) together with other indigenous designs but with Pz.I or II tracks.

It is perhaps not correct to assume all the assemblies were from vehicles captured at Dunkirk therefore;

Richard,

You are quite right the Maultier track system was patterned on Carden-Lloyd system. Now, was the first Maultier converted using parts from Bren/Scout/Universal Carriers or Vickers Light Tanks captured at Dunkirk? The Vickers Light Tanks used two double-wheel bogies too...

Two years ago I discussed this at Beltring with Baron Paulus von Hocking and David Herbert, and it was concluded the Germans must have manufactured parts for the conversion of trucks as of the Ford V3000S Maultier alone some 14,000 were built, with another 4,000 or so of the Opel Blitz variant. Much larger numbers than could be catered for by cannibalisation of captured British AFVs.

Also, there are engineering differences in track, sprocket and road wheels (see pictures of a surviving Ford V3000S Maultier). Although I have not seen a Maultier in the flesh we did find a Maultier road wheel for sale on one of the stalls at Beltring and noted it was much wider and of entirely different construction than the standard Universal Carrier road wheel - not a surprise when you know Pz.I/II track was used (instead of Carrier track like popular belief has it). Possibly only the bogie casting was copied, although I wonder if that would pass a gründlich scrutiny by German engineers - remember the answer the German Army got after asking German industry to copy the Soviet T34 tank?

Regards,
Hanno
Attached Images