View Single Post
Old 04-11-18, 00:20
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

A bit more progress on the engine block side of things. We had a close look at the spare block from the Scout Car rebuild now that all the pistons are out of that.

The crankshaft from this block has some wear on it and the crank I took out of the M8 block I was working on will be a better option.

The good news is that the bores in this block are STD size and are all intact. The bores actually don’t look too bad, and may be good enough with just a hone, but if not they will be bored out to 0.20” oversize.

Like the other block, the valves in this block are all stuck as well. There is some pitting around the valve seats but from what I can see, it is a lot less than the M8 block.

Overall this block appears to be a better rebuild option than the M8 block I have been working on. I will finish stripping it and then get it back to the reconditioner for a crack test etc, just to be sure, but I'm fairly sure this will be the one.

As an aside, here are some pictures of the manifolds for the Scout Car and the M8 which shows the differences between them. The pictures of the M8 block and the scout car block show the two studs missing at each end for the different manifold that the M8 uses. If I use this block, I will need to drill and tap the ends and fit some studs to mount the M8 manifold.

I’ve completed the gearshift and linkage assemblies. I had an original of the shorter rod for the linkage but didn't have the longer one. I’d seen NOS rods for sale but the freight cost of getting what was basically just a length of 7/8” solid rod sent here versus making one just didn’t warrant the expense, so I ended up fabricating the longer rod. In the end, I didn’t even use a solid rod, and went with a hollow pipe with heavy walls on it instead.

I stamped my data tags and fitted the ones to the gun side plate. One of the letters I stamped is not flash but overall not too bad.

That is all for this week.
Attached Thumbnails
20181102_141645.jpg   20181102_155942.jpg   20181102_155914.jpg   20181102_155854.jpg   20181102_170558.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car