View Single Post
Old 20-05-17, 03:19
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
I have started in on reproducing the wireless table as fitted to the Wire-3. One thing I am trying to figure out is the purpose of the tray at the bottom of the table. I initially thought it was for one or two batteries but I can't figure out how they would sit in it.

The tray measures 9-1/4" wide by 21" long. The 4 studs on the angle iron? What would they be for. How would a battery/batteries sit and be secured. Did the 4 studs originally have a threaded rod on them with a wing nut?
Batteries make some sense, but the typical 100-125 A.H. ones are in wooden boxes with bases of 15-1/2" by 7-1/2" so two would fit, though not very well and typically wireless trucks used two pairs (one pair to power the radio while the other pair was being charged). Alternatively two pairs of a different sized batteries would fit, though why a WIRE-3 would use a different size is unclear when contemporary WIRE-5 and HUW's used 100-125 A.H. ones.

Some questions: are there terminal strips in front of the table on the inside forward face of the cargo box that would suggest batteries were stowed under the table? Do you know where else in the box batteries would be if not under the table? Was there a No.5 Charging panel and, if so, where?