View Single Post
Old 14-12-18, 23:08

Default WS No. 52 Cdn Voltmeters

I have lost track of the number of times I have looked at my three 52-Set receivers in the last year, but while studying the two Main Set Receivers last evening to consider the best options for a challenging physical repair down the road, I discovered something new. There are two different voltmeters present among these three receivers. This should be no surprise considering the number of meter makers for the Wireless Set No. 19 during it’s production history, but the 52-Set had a much shorter production run, with only the Canadian Marconi Company as the sole manufacturer.

It didn’t help that in this particular instance, the odd meter out happened to be on the Remote Receiver, with the other two being on Main Set Receivers. I am content at the moment to consider that a pure fluke.

Checking the 52-Set documents I have on hand, all photos and drawings match the voltmeters on my two Main Set Receivers (the first photograph attached) having the flat bottom to the face plate that exposes a lot of the internals to easy view. The voltmeter with the crescent shaped glass is on the Remote Receiver and has the faceplate with the two large lobes either side of the pointer.

The 1945 Master Parts List describes only one voltmeter, as follows:

VOLTMETERS, DC 2-in Double Scale 0-15/300, No.C1

“Bakelite Case 1.27/64 – in x 2.11/16 – in dia; 3 1/8 – in mounting holes; fluorescent pointer; shatter-proof glass; two terminals on back of case; external resistors must be used, this is a miliameter. ZA/CAN 4304

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Voltmeter B.JPG   WS No. 52 Voltmeter A.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 15-12-18 at 00:38.