View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 18:37

I am pleased with the results of the British Valve Adapter project I have been working on recently. I am 100% certain the adapter itself will work as intended. Before putting it to the task of checking the valves in my 52-Set receivers, however, I realized that after many years of very casual use, it would be prudent to calibrate my Precision 612 Tube Tester to ensure it is in good working order. This is actually a fairly straight forward task, there being only one tube in the tester circuit (a 5Y3GT), one capacitor and about 10 easily accessible resisters to be checked.

‘Pop the tube out. Give it a quick test, and pop it back in or replace it.’ My Brain said, far too eagerly. It took a while for the concept of owning only one tube tester to take hold. So until I can team up with a mate with a tester on hand, I have headed back to the 52-Set work on my bench.

The slow strip down of the backup receiver is continuing as per the first photo. The tuning knob bits are all together waiting to be used to upgrade the Main Set Receiver.

I had commented a while back the tuning on the Main Set Receiver was alarmingly stiff. I suspect the shaft supports, front and/or rear, of the tuning condenser shaft itself are at fault. I am hoping the issue is with the front end as it is quite easy to access. The other two photos here show the tuning shaft exiting the rear of the Flick Assembly behind the front panel of the receiver and heading into the coil spring like flexible coupling. The last photo shows the tuning condenser shaft exiting the flexible coupling and disappearing into the front shaft support of the Tuning Condenser Assembly.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Backup Receiver Stripdown 1.JPG   WS No. 52 Receiver Tuning Shaft A.JPG   WS No. 52 Receiver Tuning Shaft B.JPG