Thread: ARN in AWM 126
View Single Post
Old 16-10-18, 14:49
Lionel G. Evans

Default ARN in AWM 126

Hello All,

I just had a browse through a number of different volumes of AWM 126. My Chevrolet truck was made in 1940 and its Identification Plates state the colour as "Khaki". The truck also had remnants of an ARN left on the bonnet. When I checked the relevant page 77253 or 77259 resulted in it showing a whole page of just the column for ARN filled in. The rest of the page was blank. The ARN that I thought I could decipher was probably a series of over-painted numbers jumbled up.

In the Model of Vehicle column does "CVT" stand for Chevrolet?

In my search for different ARN's I noticed that the Chassis number was not routinely copied down. I had hoped that once I solve the problem of where the hell my Chevrolet's chassis number is I could have used this number to look up the ARN.

More reliable entries seem to be present for Engine numbers. However, engines can be easily changed by the Army and by successive civilian owners.

Is the engine number on the 216 engine near the oil pump like it is on the Holden 202 motors are?

When I identify my 1940 Chevrolet's engine number and if it just happens to match a listed number, would the strongest chance to find an ARN be in the first volume of AWM 126? Volume 1 covers the first years of World War Two; my truck was made in 1940. Logic suggests that ....

I did manage to track down my 2A Land Rover Ambulance's ARN. Out of the full page of "Approved for disposal" details there were only about 4 lines left blank. You guessed it ... my ambulance was one of those blank lines!

That is it for me for the night!

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2