View Single Post
Old 07-11-18, 15:42

Default Little shop of horrors......

It’s been a long time since I was down the shed. The engine I was planning on using in the carrier turned out to be a dud. So after nearly 12 months in the shop I was a tad bit annoyed

In the depths of dispondency, I followed up on an engine that I had tried to buy a few years ago but was not for sale. (Must sound familiar to most of us?).

The engine in mind was sitting in a junk yard and was in either a welder or generator frame (I can’t remember which) and had a carrier oil cooler attached. On following up it had been sold........then re-sold........and was sitting in a shed less than 2km from my home.

Armed with a dashing smile, my best pleading voice, some glossy photos of a partially restored Bren carrier and a fistful of cash, I called in the current owner.

The guy was happy to show it to me, he had bought it running and was going to put the engine into a truck to restore (Must sound familiar to most of us?) ..... but had changed his mind and was happy to sell it.

The engine has me a little stumped, the block is cast 61 (so not a mercury block) and the engine number is F100! but there are a lot of Carrier tell-tales - it has the pcv valve, two piece sump and the block has been drilled for an oil cooler - oh, and it was with the carrier oil cooler and a carrier radiator.

Throwing caution to the wind, I parted with some cold hard cash for a running V8, possibly carrier, but until I pull the heads off - more likely a generator engine - but who cares - it runs

So I brought my new purchase home, cleaned it up, pulled the sump, replaced the water pumps, fitted the clutch from the old motor and a rebuilt carby. Wired it up and hit the starter and it runs perfectly. So I won’t pull it down yet.

I’ve been given a confirmed carrier block to rebuild so will eventually put that engine in the carrier.

For now this is what is going in. I’ve opted for the 1942 build to suit my later model carrier, but I’m having to manufacture a bracket to mount the oil filled fan opposite the generator pulley, so in this photo the earlier twin pulley generator has been fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
00EFBFE5-FACA-477C-9CA5-2D2C542C2177.jpeg  

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)